Sunday, September 11, 2011

Come to Quark's...

My goal with this blog is to try to do a fun, non-work related design project every week or two. This week, I merged two of my great loves, beer and Star Trek.

I love the look and feel of old Guinness ads. They have a really fun, playful style, and I wanted to combine that with my love of Star Trek by creating a retro-style ad for Quark's. Quark's, of course, is the bar at the heart of Deep Space Nine, a show I watched about 10,000 times as a teenager. Quark's was more than just a bar--it was a home away from home for a lot of the characters, and it was a place where they would gather to relax, celebrate, and mourn throughout the series. So I wanted my poster to have a warm, playful look, with just a touch of class.


 I created the logo and glasses in Illustrator. I brought them into Photoshop, where I created the background and beverages. I added some age and weathering to give it a "lived in" look, and ta-da--an ode to the best bar, restaurant and gambling facility this side of the wormhole.

No comments:

Post a Comment